Although I have helped many friends with their Etsy journey on the technical side, my own DoodlingJorge Etsy journey started early this year. I wrote about my hopes and the reasons for it on blog post 2023 Attempting to sell on Etsy! – DoodlingJorge
I was hopeful and enthusiastic, but to be honest, greatly underestimated the amount of work it would take.
Although still a very good platform, Etsy has changed a lot in the past couple of years and just recently it is cracking down on a lot of mass marketers and “automated” bots that have caused a lot of challenges for “real sellers” in the system. Lots of videos and on YouTube.
I gave a Etsy for Artists class today. I started the class by saying:
I have not yet been successful on Etsy, but I plan to continue grinding forward.
As I said on my June 10, 2023 on blog Back the Store – DoodlingJorge I am not giving up on Etsy, but decided to do a lot on my own website and store. With the challenge Etsy is having, it is proving to be a good decision, as I want to have some control in case something goes sideways, and my ETSY Store is suspended for whatever reason they deem necessary.
I still have lots to learn, but what I learned so far from travels in this journey:
- Define your goals with your Etsy Store
( it is another supermarket / marketplace to place your products)
- Combine Digital, Print-On-Demand and physical goods – cross sell each.
- It is YOUR job to promote and bring people to the Etsy store. ( adverting, social media etc)
- If things are not selling, it is because: No one can find you.
- You need volumes of people to sell one piece.
- You need good photos of what you are selling to get people to click on the listing
- Then you need to convert that visitor into a buyer.
- Then you need to fulfil that order and have them
- If you are lucky enough to hit the jackpot with one piece, then how do you plan to scale?
- DO NOT rely only on Etsy alone ( lots of changes happening to the platform )
- Consider the Esty costs in your pricing strategy including ( Labor cost, Etsy fees, Payment Fees, taxes , and more…)
- Do not try to compete on price. there are ALWAYS people/companies out there that will have a lower price Some even operate at a loss to gain customers or have loss leaders to get emails.
I have to say, and I am reflecting on my own journey, and I do not mind sharing this:
- Most advice and niche-based selling is based on research, targeted SEO and relevant products. ( yes that is business but not art. ( still struggling with this one!)
- I am not interested in creating art for trending items
- I want my art to speak to others, each piece on their own merit (there got to be an audience for me out there)
Recommended YouTube videos:
- Etsy 101: How to Set Up Your Etsy Shop – YouTube
- START SELLING ON ETSY in 5 easy steps (Etsy shop for beginners tutorial 2023)
- How to Start Selling on Etsy 2024 Beginners Guide – YouTube
- Etsy 101: Types of FEES ＄ // ETSY FEES EXPLAINED – YouTube
- Etsy Fees Explained – The Cost Of Selling On Etsy – Etsy Fee Increase 2023 – YouTube
- FREE and excellent 11 episode on how to build your own Etsy Business from Scratch
Etsy YouTubers I follow:
- Etsy Consultant – YouTube
- Brenon Dopp – YouTube
- Kara Buntin – YouTube
- Kate Hayes – YouTube
- heatherstudio – YouTube
Mentions of other Etsy stores:
- DoodlingJorge: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DoodlingJorge
- AlypCreative: https://www.etsy.com/shop/alypcreative
- PaposoArt: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PaposoArt
(feel free to browse – Three very different ones!)